Trainer/Jockey Comments On Todays Runners 14/9/13

14the September

Postby The Novice Tipster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 am
Brian Meehan

SEFAAT (Bath 2.15 p.m.) Consistent juvenile filly broke her maiden in a three-horse affair at Ffos Las and was unlucky not to follow up at the same track soon after. Remains in good form and has a weight off which she can be dangerous.

SPARK PLUG (Bath 3.25 p.m.) Son of Dylan Thomas and the Group 1 winning South African mare Kournikova has been shaping well on the gallops. He is sure to benefit from this initial outing.

GREAT HALL (Doncaster 3.50 p.m., Ladbrokes St Leger Stakes) Lightly-raced colt missed his intended prep for this classic when the rains hit York overnight. That said, he is not expected to be inconvenienced by a soft surface and has enjoyed a perfect lead up to his big challenge. Hopes are high for a big run.

FREEPORT (Bath 4.00 p.m.) Gelding has enjoyed a break since a sluggish effort – albeit not beaten far in the end – at Pontefract in July. A return to his best would make him a serious contender.

INTIBAAH (Lingfield 5.20 p.m.) Dual juvenile winner last autumn ran a blinder on his seasonal debut at Ascot but then was foiled for much of the summer by firm ground, at home and at the races. Chester proved an unsuitable medium for his second run of 2013, but ground and track here look ideal. Big chance.


Richard Fahey

El Viento is our sole representative in the Portland Handicap on the Saturday card.

He won well when we put a visor on him last time and he's gone up 7lb for that, which I think is a little bit harsh. Would he still have won the race there off 98? Probably. But can he possibly win this off 98? Probably not.

At the start of the season I wouldn't have given him much of a chance of winning anything off this mark, but let's hope he can prove me wrong. George Chaloner gets a good tune out of him and his 5lb claim won't do any harm.

Hand on heart, I'm not convinced Heskin is quite good enough to win the nursery off her mark, but she won't mind any give in the ground and she's holding her form well enough.

We've a few going to Chester. Alejandro and Gatepost both go for the Aejis Handicap although being drawn 10 and 11 isn't going to help their chances - they'll probably both be dropped out and we'll hope they go fast enough in front.

Alejandro isn't the biggest and carrying 9st 10lb would have been a big ask, so Sammy Bell is taking 7lb off her back. Gatepost has been very disappointing this season, there's no way of hiding that. I'd thought that off this mark he would be winning races but it hasn't clicked for him. He's got the ability - I'm sure of it - but does he still want to do it?

Marwan [Koukash] was keen to run Area Fifty One in the Listed race and a mile and a half won't bother him. On his best form, he'd have a bit of a chance.

One of our best chances comes with Skye's The Limit in the Boodles Diamond Nursery, although I'd obviously have preferred him to be drawn lower than seven.

He was off for four months after his first two starts as we had terrible problems with corns in his feet, but he'll improve for his latest win and being honest I think he's potentially well handicapped off 77. I hope he can prove me right and win this.

Gabrial The Thug is another runner for Marwan in the Justforkicx Charity Handicap. He's been frustrating but hopefully going back up to a mile and a quarter will help him.

Finally, we've Gabrial The Master in the Stella Cidre Handicap and he's a horse I think a bit of. He's still a big, raw shell of a horse and with another winter on his back I think he could be all right next year. The question is whether he is ready yet for two miles, as long-term I think it will be no problem but he's not the finished article.

Godolphin

"The ground was too quick for Cap O'Rushes at York and he came out of the race fine. He looks very well and I am very happy with him going into the St Leger.

"The softer the ground, the better for him and I think that he heads to Doncaster with a good, solid chance. The one thing I am confident that he will do is see the trip out well.

"He's got form with Excess Knowledge and Galileo Rock and he should run another solid race. I am hopeful that he will make the frame.

"Libertarian was disappointing in the Irish Derby and we have given him a well-deserved break.

"I have been happy enough with his work. He is not a work horse, so you don't get excited about him in the mornings, but he has done everything that we have asked of him.

"He looks well and is ready to go. We have put cheekpieces on just to help him along and get him competitive at an early stage. He has tended to play catch up in his races and there's only one St Leger, so we wanted to give ourselves the best chance."

Saeed bin Suroor said: "Secret Number is doing really well and improving all of the time. He was a bit weak in the past but he improves with every race and is ready to go.

"I think the trip will suit him and good or good to soft ground should be fine for him. He is doing well and I have been happy with his preparation."

Lady Cecil

HOT Snap and Wild Coco have both been declared for Group races this weekend.

Hot Snap, who finished third in the Nassau Stakes at Glorious Goodwood last time out, contests the Group 2 Blandford Stakes at The Curragh tomorrow.

Wild Coco, a Group 3 winner at Glorious Goodwood, has been declared for the Group 1 Prix Vermeille at Longchamp on Sunday.

Lady Cecil said: "Hot Snap ran very well in a Group 1 last time on her return from a break. We have been pleased with her in the lead up to tomorrow's race and hope that she can once again be competitive.

"Wild Coco impressed on her first run of the season, winning well in the Lillie Langtry. That was over a longer trip, but a mile and a half should also suit her well.

"She will enjoy getting her toe in and we are optimistic that she can produce another good performance. The one slight concern might be her wide draw."


William Buick

I CAN LAND MY THIRD LEGER IF IDEAL TYPE LIBERTARIAN IS BACK TO HIS BEST

I don’t suppose it should surprise me the way things change so quickly in racing but it still catches me out – especially the way this year’s Ladbrokes St Leger has played out.

Until a couple of weeks ago I was on what I considered my idea of the winner in Excess Knowledge who should have won the Gordon Stakes at Glorious Goodwood.

Then James Doyle gets appointed number one rider to Juddmonte and he takes that ride so I switch to another improving stayer for the boss, John Gosden, Feel Like Dancing.

Then he gets a late injury and I get the call from Godolphin to keep my partnership going with LIBERTARIAN (3.50) and bingo!

I’m right back in the game.

I’ve ridden in the last three Legers and won the first two of them and was well-beaten on Thought Worthy a year ago so I think I know what it takes to win the race and how good the last three races have been.

No question that last season’s was top-class with Camelot just failing to land the Triple Crown but when Masked Marvel won it in 2011 he was brilliant on the fast ground.

He stayed at a very strong pace and quickened off it but the going will be much more testing this time and for that reason the ability to stay is absolutely vital.

Having said that I’m sure that the bulk of this field have the required stamina it’s simply going to be a case of who is hard enough and wants it enough.

So let me make one thing clear. If I were still riding Excess Knowledge I’d be more than happy. I know that if things had gone our way at Goodwood he’d have won a race in which my first Leger winner Arctic Cosmos finished third.

He’s improving all the time and I can’t see the softish ground being more of a concern to him than any of the other ten runners. I’m sure you haven’t seen the best of him.

When it comes to staying the one horse in the field that looks guaranteed is Leading Light.

Aiden O’Brien has had him off the track since he won the Queen’s Vase over two miles at Royal Ascot beating the unfortunate Feel Like Dancing by pure stamina.

With him it’s a question of whether he’s got a finishing kick over a couple of furlongs less – but although Ascot was on fast ground I can’t see easier conditions being anything other than a bonus.

The other Ballydoyle runner, Foundry, is still an unknown quantity because his only run this year was the second of his career in the Great Voltigeur when he was a length and a half second to Telescope.

That was a fine run and effectively put the skids under the Gordon form which Cap O’Rushes won with Secret Number fifth after getting no room.

Secret Number was half a length back in third at York and Cap O’Rushes didn’t really turn up and was well back in sixth.

But I’m inclined to re-think that race because I’m sure that Cap O’Rushes was some way off his best and I’d put that down to the faster ground.

It’s going to suit him much better with a bit of mud on Saturday and I’ll be surprised if there’s much between them this time.

Galileo Rock had a terrific chance on his Irish Derby second to Trading Leather having showed his quality when a close third at Epsom. But there’s a big doubt about him handling the softer ground and his won’t be decided until the morning of the race.

It looks a big call for the Oaks winner Talent after her disappointment in the Irish Oaks last time while Great Hall, Havana Beat and Ralston Road have a massive hill to climb.

Which leaves me with Libertarian.

Now, there is the elephant in the room so let’s get that out of the way first. The Irish Derby.

Look, it wasn’t within stones of his best – he’d finished a short head in front of Galileo Rock at Epsom so wherever he was, we had to be thereabouts at least. And he’d beaten Trading Leather on merit in the Dante at York back in May.

Libertarian wouldn’t have won in Ireland after two furlongs and although nothing seems to have emerged I’m inclined to think that it was just one race too many in a relatively short space of time.

He didn’t run at two, had his first run on April 9 and the Curragh was his fifth run.

Godolphin have been able to get him back to their pits at Newmarket, tinker about with him and he’s had over two months to come right.

I don’t know if he’s back to his best but I do know three things.

When this horse was staying on like a train at Epsom on ground and a track that didn’t suit he had Leger written all over him.

Secondly, he’s always given me the distinct impression that he wants easier ground which, apart from his winning debut he’s never had.

And three, his trainer Charlie Appleby has his Moulton Paddocks team in absolutely top order.

The bottom line is that I feel extremely lucky to be riding in the race, let alone on a fancied runner but providing everything comes together I do believe I have a genuine chance of taking another Ladbrokes St Leger.

MY QUARTET ON A CLASSIC UNDERCARD ON TOWN MOOR...

It’s a terrific supporting card to the Classic and I start with solid outside ride for Roger Varian in the Ladbrokes Portland Handicap, STEPS (2.40).

He’s not easy to win with and this will be my first ride on the horse but when I was taking a look at him I liked it when I saw that his last win was on soft ground at Thirsk in May.

He’s off his highest mark now of 101 but I think this extended five furlongs coupled with the ground, a reasonable draw and the great form of Roger’s horses make him a serious player in a very hard race to call.

I’m up for Clarehaven in the Group 2 Olbg Park Stakes and I do have a very good feeling about GREGORIAN (3.15).

This trip of seven furlongs fits right into his comfort zone and I don’t think there was any fluke about his defeat of Soft Rain Falling when Rab Havlin rode him at Newbury last month.

He was just over a length third to Declaration Of War in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot and although one of his biggest rivals here, Aljamaaheer, was half a length ahead in second I’m not convinced he’ll handle the extra dig in the ground.

But while the soft ground will be a problem for a few of these it won’t worry this fellow.

It was on the soft side when he won the Diomed at Stakes Epsom on Oaks Day and it was on the easy side when he was a length third in last year’s St James Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.

He’s got a lot going for him.

I think that a debut handicap mark of 79 and some soft ground was too good for Eve Johnson Houghton to miss with WHAT ABOUT CARLO (5.00).

I can understand that because although I thought that he’d be a better horse as a three-year-old when I won on him at Goodwood last month I’d be equally sure that the race will have bought him together.

The second and ninth have won since and while that step up to a mile bought out the best in Eve’s colt

I think the longer, galloping straight at Doncaster will bring him on again. I can’t see the ground as an issue, quite the reverse.

ASCRIPTION (6.05) was another mud-lover that I won on at Goodwood last time and I’m back on him for Hugo Palmer in the mile handicap that finishes the meeting.

That win needs to be put in context because he was able to make the best of a very good draw and sit in behind the leaders and won easily.

I didn’t ride him next time at Haydock off an 11lb higher mark but he still did well to finish two lengths second to Graphic.

I think the ground would have been fast enough that day and although he’s jumped up another 4lb he’ll have a big factor in his favour with the easier ground.

...BEFORE HEADING TO PARIS FOR ARC TRIALS DAY ON SUNDAY

Off to France for Arc Trials day on Sunday and some nice rides, including AIKEN (2.08) who the boss has switched from the Irish St Leger to the Qatar Prix Gladiateur-Grand Prix des Benevoles 2013 over nearly two miles.

The key to him is the ground, the softer it is the better he performs and I don’t see any problem with him getting the trip.

On the only time he attempted it last October it took the Ascot Gold Cup winner Rite Of Passage to grab him close home and win by a neck.

He’d been off since then when he came back at Newbury in the middle of last month and I wasn’t on him that day when he finished five lengths off Royal Empire but I’d be sure the run would have put an edge on him.

The only other time we’ve teamed up in France was when we won the Grand Prix De Chantilly in June last year and I’d be more than hopeful we can make it two out of two.

Rae Guest has booked me for MIRZA (12.30) in the Group 3 sprint over five, the Qatar Prix Petit Couvert, when I’ll be on this one for the first time. The one thing he seems to want is plenty of ease in the ground which we should get and although his rating in the low hundreds gives him a bit to find on Catcall I reckon he’s more than capable of making the frame.

I’ve been given a very interesting ride in the Group 1 Qatar Prix Vermeille, PENELOPA (2.40). She is an extremely talented German filly who won the German Oaks last month beating Epsom Oaks second Secret Gesture three quarters of a length.

That’s solid enough and she did it with a bit of authority despite getting short of room at the three and the two and showed plenty of courage to challenge between horses going to the last furlong.

She seems to have the tactical pace to deal with racing in Paris and like the majority of horses that come from her homeland she seems tough.

I think she’s only going one way and that’s up and the only thing I don’t know is how she’ll handle soft ground – although the percentage call would be that she’ll be fine.


Ryan Moore

A couple of weeks ago, I said that Foundry and Excess Knowledge were the two to beat in the St Leger. So I am obviously delighted to have got the ride on Aidan's horse.

But the more I have looked at this race since, the more I think that his battle-hardened stablemate Leading Light could be the one they all have to beat.

I was a little bit negative about the horse in my column a fortnight ago, saying that he made "pretty heavy weather" of beating me on Feel Like Dancing by 1 ½ lengths in the Queen's Vase.

But, having gone back and looked at that race again, as well as all the other trials, I have changed my mind. He actually didn't appear to be doing a stroke in front at Ascot, and he looked to have plenty left in the tank at the finish, so it wasn't too bad a performance at all considering he was also carrying a 3lb penalty.

That form leaves him with a bit to find but there are plenty of positives. He has been trained for this race ever since winning the Gallinule, is obviously a guaranteed stayer, and is proven in the soft. And this trip will take plenty of getting in the ground.

But there is very little between four or five of these formwise, and Foundry has the most scope for improvement.

The worry with him is whether this test comes too soon, as his excellent effort to finish second to me on Telescope in the Voltigeur came straight off a maiden win last November. And looking at the distaff side of his pedigree there is a slight stamina doubt there.

But he is a Galileo, he didn't look to be stopping at York, and the promise of his run was there for all to see. And I am sure that Aidan didn't have him cherry ripe at York. If he had more experience coming into the race, I would be more confident.

Excess Knowledge looked the best horse in the race at Goodwood last time, but I was more impressed with his third at Sandown earlier in the season. His pedigree suggests this trip will suit, and being a Monsun I think he will handle the ground ok.

I was surprised to see him miss York but he is a big player in this, as are the placed horses at Epsom, Libertarian and Galileo Rock, who come into the race boasting the best form credentials.

Libertarian has looked all over a Leger horse all season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he put his Irish Derby disappointment behind him. I know they haven't been overly-impressed with him at home work-wise, but he is probably just a lazy worker to judge from his racecourse efforts. But he does lack tactical speed, and that is a big negative over any trip. That would be my worry for him.

Galileo Rock is probably more solid and straightforward, and will turn up - if he does turn up, that is, with connections having doubts over the ground - and run his race. But he hasn't picked up the winning habit yet, and I like to see that in horses. And that applies to many in here, with the exception of Leading Light, who only come into this race with a maiden victory under their belts.

I can't have Great Hall as being good enough to win this, but you have to respect Classic winner Talent.

However, the Oaks form simply couldn't have been working out any worse before The Lark won at Doncaster on Thursday, though that was a very weak Group 2. But she was the clear winner at Epsom and you certainly can't rule her out.

Ryan Moore (other rides)

14:40 Doncaster - Racy

We actually had him as a two-year-old, when I rode him to win his maiden. He has run some good races this season, notably when second to Masamah at Ascot and when fourth in the Stewards' Cup. And the handicapper has done him a small favour by dropping him 2lb for his two runs since. Probably wouldn't want the ground too soft here, but has won with cut in the ground, and would have place chances.


15:15 Doncaster - Red Jazz

Is getting on a bit now and didn't run up to his best at Ascot last time. But he had earlier run three good races over this trip after coming back from Dubai, and he would have each way chances on those efforts. But, with this stable in such good form, Roger's Aljamaaheer must have a big chance if it isn't too soft, and Hungerford winner Gregorian and the progressive Lockwood are two others with fair claims in a competitive Group 2.


15:50 Doncaster; St Leger - Foundry


16:25 Doncaster - Saptapadi

This is another horse we used to have early in his career. He has run some good races in decent handicaps this season, and wasn't beaten too far when finishing in midfield in the Ebor last time. He has been dropped 3lb for that run, and I think that gives him a chance of getting competitive here; 1m4f with some cut in the ground will be fine for him.


17:00 Doncaster - Showpiece

I give him a decent chance off a mark of 85, even though the handicapper has treated him a bit harshly by putting him up 6lb for winning a Salisbury maiden over 6f last time. I rode him that day and he did it well, and I would say that a mile will be fine for him, and this flatter track will suit, too. He is unproven with cut in the ground, but he is a Kyllachy and that would give you encouragement on that front.

Roger Charlton

Aspirant runs in the first race at Bath with Ted Durcan and steps up a furlong having won narrowly at Kempton recently.

Quest For More (IRE) runs at 4.35 pm and he will now be ridden by Cathy Gannon after poor Hayley Turner had such a horrific looking fall at Doncaster earlier in the week. He looked a difficult ride when winning at Leicester by a neck and the handicapper raised his rating by 8lbs which might be rather harsh.

At Lingfield First Secretary with Joey Haynes claiming five runs in the first race, she seemed to handle the soft ground fairly well at Windsor on her last start.

At Doncaster Definightly reappears after five months, he should enjoy the ground but carrying top weight it will be a huge task for him to recapture his best form.

Bishop Roko runs in the mile and a half handicap at 4.25 pm. He was slightly disappointing in the Ebor and I am uncertain whether it was the distance or the soft ground that was responsible.

Richard Hannon

We are licking our lips in anticipation of more Champagne celebrations

WE have won the last two runnings of Doncaster's Champagne Stakes with Trumpet Major and Toronado, and Richard Hannon is hopeful that , despite a 3lb penalty, Anjaal might complete the hat-trick and set off some more exploding bubbly corks on Town Moor tomorrow.

The defection of Paul Cole's Berkshire has left some professionals to suggest that this might be a below-par renewal of the G2, but the boss has always rated Anjaal, who has enjoyed a break since he won the July Stakes at Newmarket's summer festival.

He said: "Anjaal had a Gimcrack and a Molecomb winner behind at Newmarket, so you can't knock the form and he has thrived for his little holiday. He breezed nicely on Thursday and has really filled out in all the right places, and we could not be more happy with him.

"We also send Showpiece up to Doncaster for the nursery. He broke his maiden in style at Salisbury, winning going away over six, and the way he had run against Outstrip over seven at Newmarket earlier suggests that this mile will be no problem."

We also have runners at Lingfield, Kempton (Hughesie is doing both meetings), and Bath, so it looked like being another busy day, and we have France and Ireland coming up on Sunday.

Mark Usher

Today Best Be Careful runs in the 5.05 at Bath. They have had 21mm of rain so the ground is now Good. Obviously she is better on firm ground, but as there are not a lot of opportunities left for her, I will let her take her chance. She seems in good form so hopefully she can get involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16/03/23 Cheltenham Day 3

13/04/24 4:00 Aintree - The Grand National System

12/03/24 Cheltenham